Thursday, October 13, 2011

Fair Practices?

We continue to struggle, particularly with one teacher at the high school about properly accommodating Daniel's tests and quizzes.  She has made SOME of the accommodations regarding classwork and notes, and now is going a bit further with the tests after our IEP (only after 2 tests have already been taken and failed).  One of the accommodations I am requesting (which has always been done in the past in every dog gone class) I am still getting no response about it as of 8:00 tonight, the night before yet another quiz.

We had a discussion, led by the Special Education Director, explaining some of the basics of autism, which appear to be lost on these people.  I am so fortunate to have the Sped Dir explaining the nuances of autism and why it is necessary for him to be tested differently.  The AI teacher consultant also looked at the tests and said they were confusing to HER not yet what he would see?  So what is the problem you ask?  I don't know.  There seems to be a disconnect in what she will bend on.  Possibly she feels, it is giving him too much.  He "should" be able to give her the information if he has "truly" learned it? Despite us explaining that people with autism often understand the information, but have problems "outputting" the information.   I have watched her shake her head, put it down, and roll her eyes.  She doesn't get it.  She feels we are the problem.  When she started the sentence, the dreaded sentence, "I can't do this for one.....child" the answer I gave was, "that's why you have a special ed teacher and an autism consultant to help with these accommodations.  I am still being ignored.  I hate to be ignored.  I hate that Daniel is failing these tests and quizzes.  I hope that he won't become so frustrated he starts acting out.  I hope he doesn't start feeling bad about himself.  I hope it doesn't hurt his self esteem. 

When I quiz him on his flash cards, he KNOWS some of this stuff.  He is getting some of it. I'm not saying he has a complete working knowledge of the 9th grade history.   Can we ask more?  I could take the easy way out, but I, once again, need to get my point across.  I can be as stubborn as she is.  This is MY CHILD.  I am past being sad and crying and frustrated. I'm mad.

I came across this comic on Facebook today.  It's official title is No Animal Left Behind.  It very succinctly shows my feelings regarding accommodating work for our kids with autism.  We can't all be tested the same.  Asking him to perform on these quizzes and tests the same as all of the other kids is as ridiculous as asking that elephant to climb a tree. 

No comments: